Friday, October 23, 2020

Reading Slump

 

    



    I never would have thought it could happen. I'm retired. I've got nothing but time on my hands. I should be reading all day. I am enjoying lots of pool and beach time. My To Be  Read (TBR) list gets longer every day.  However, I am apparently in a reading slump.  

    I'm almost always reading 2-3 books at a time, mostly history or historical fiction, with  something different thrown in once in a while, but I currently have 4 books going, for a long time. It's not that they're bad or that I am not enjoying them; I'm just not making progress.

    They're worth talking about though, and worth recommending. Maybe one of them will arouse  your interest.

    




    Three of the books are set in Georgia, my home state, and I love to read Georgia history. First is Administrations of Lunacy, the history of Central State Hospital in Milledgeville. Central State was built during the asylum movement, inspired by reformer Dorothea Dix,  of the mid 1800s. Dix was involved in the planning and construction of the asylum; she served as an advisor in several states as they built their asylums.  Central State Hospital was, for a long time, the largest mental hospital in the world. Closed years ago, the buildings and grounds have become an attraction of sorts, with many claiming that it's one of the most haunted places in the world. (Article for background https://www.atlantamagazine.com/great-reads/asylum-inside-central-state-hospital-worlds-largest-mental-institution/ )  Since I lived and taught  in Milledgeville for most of the 1990s, it's of particular interest to me.  Administrations is a thorough examination of the hospital's operations, focusing on the Jim Crow segregation years.
    The second book is a novel written by former President Jimmy Carter. Carter has written several books, but this is his only novel.  It's the story of some of Georgia's first white pioneers, set before and during the American Revolution.  It's a really good historical novel; frankly, I am a little surprised that Carter's a pretty good fiction writer.  My only complaint is that he's a just a tad too pedantic sometimes, going into great detail to explain tensions and grievances that patriot rebels had against the British. It can seem a bit clunky sometimes if you know a lot going in to the novel.
    Third is Taylor Brown's Pride of Eden.  This recently published book has gotten a lot of critical acclaim and appears on many lists of recommended books.  Brown is from southeast Georgia, and several of his books are set there. I read and enjoyed his book The River of Kings. I started his Gods of Howl Mountain, but I lost interest.  His books are beautifully written; you might call his writing style lyrical or poetic. He's an excellent storyteller. However, I've run into a block on Pride. It's the story of a man who runs an animal sanctuary in coastal Georgia, rescuing abused wild animals from circuses, zoos, and private owners.  I want to finish it, but I have a problem with the book.  Every living being in the book, human or animal, is abused, damaged, troubled, or evil.  It's emotionally draining to read.
    Finally, there's The King of Confidence. This book checks a lot of boxes for me. It's about an American history topic that I'd never heard of before. It's about a charismatic religious leader/cult leader/ con man who was eventually assassinated,  and it's well written. The main character is James Strang who went from being an atheist to claiming to be the true heir to Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. the Mormon Church. He was a rival of Brigham Young, and he created his own movement and community. His life and death were fodder for national newspapers.   
    So that's what I'm currently trying to read.  And I've got stacks of other books to follow.  One day. Sooner than later, I hope.
    



No comments:

Post a Comment